Site news

Site Problem-Receiving Assignment Feedback Intended for Another Person

Site Problem-Receiving Assignment Feedback Intended for Another Person

by Thomas Pyzdek -
Number of replies: 14

Some students are receiving assignment feedback from Moodle that was intended for someone else. We are aware of this and have an open case with Moodle technical support. We will update this post as soon as we hear from Moodle. We apologize for the inconvenience. 

In reply to Thomas Pyzdek

Re: Site Problem-Receiving Assignment Feedback Intended for Another Person

by James Cron -

Hi Tom,

The problem is still occurring in case you have not had any feedback as of 9:48 pm CEST

by Jared Logan -

I received this issue today as well while submitting my assignment.  Is there an update on the issue?

JARED

In reply to Jared Logan

by Thomas Pyzdek -

As of July 14 at 3PM Eastern Moodle is still actively working on it. Moodlerooms made a major "upgrade" last week, which I suspect is the cause. Hopefully they will find a solution soon.

by Thomas Pyzdek -

• If you are a student who gets an assignment response intended for someone else, please notify your grader.
  • Grader: please let me know about which of your students get assignment comments or feedback that was meant for another student. I'll let MoodleRooms know which student you meant to get the feedback and which student(s) actually got the feedback. This should help MR troubleshoot the issue.

by Thomas Pyzdek -

UPDATE FROM MOODLE

Subject: ... receiving other students' assignment notifications

The following is an update on your support case:

Thank you for your continued help, Tom. We're actively investigating this issue, to try and see if we can replicate it in our internal testing environments. As I have more information to share after testing, we'll be in touch with you. On the other hand, if you receive more details from your users that might help us determine the root cause of this issue, please send those along.

Thanks again for your help, and for your patience with this matter.
Sincerely,
Mike 

by Tom Gause-Stango -

Tom - Per your request, I'm posting my recent experience here.

Earlier today, I uploaded my feasibility worksheet and charter for my final project. I added a comment informing you that this recent upload is my second attempt. Within minutes, I started receiving emails from people--some were colleagues and others were people who I've never met--who told me they received the following emails. The comment I left for you is included in the body of the email these people received. If you or someone needs to contact me for more information, please email me at tomgause83@gmail.com.

From: xxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com [mailto:donotreply@blackboard.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2015 9:55 AM
To: Moore, S
Subject: New comment for Certification Project Charter and Feasibility Assignment

Tom - attached is my charter and workbook for my second attempt.

In reply to Tom Gause-Stango

by Thomas Pyzdek -

Starting immediately I and all of the MBB graders will be using Moodle's messaging system instead of their Assignment system to send feedback. I apologize for the inconvenience.

by Dragana Tancic -
I am  a student who gets an assignment response intended for someone else:  
jlogan@coconino.az.gov
jwcron@cronfcgmbh.com
paul.mu2@commerzbank.com
christian.charles@bca-services.com
juanbatres2012@gmail.com
ambrassi_@hotmail.com

by Peter Bersbach -

I recieved this message from Kristopher Browning:

Peter,

For the last week or so I’ve been receiving emails from students in replies to comments or submissions to assignments. Most of the emails are addressed to “Kevin”. Could you look into this and assist in figuring out a way for me to stop receiving these emails? I emailed Tom last week, but I haven’t heard anything from him and I’m still getting the emails. Thanks in advance for your help.

Kristopher

Kristopher Browning

Business Process Consultant

Division of Administration

Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services

by Thomas Pyzdek -

Until further notice graders will be sending assignment feedback using the Moodle messaging system rather than the Assignment system. This is less convenient but better than every student getting annoying feedback messages intended for other students.

by Thomas Pyzdek -

Moodlerooms has made this an "all hands on deck" issue. They have temporarily turned off all assignment comments. They will be conducting tests using an inactive course on our site. Hopefully their test comments will not be sent to everyone, but since the cause is currently unknown you may get a few of their test messages.

by Thomas Pyzdek -

MoodleRooms has identified the cause of the issue, which is a bug in release 2.8 of Moodle. Here is MoodleRooms response to our support ticket:

Next Action:The status of the Known Issue associated with your issue has been updated to Pending Release to show that we have confirmed this is a bug that is planned to be fixed in a future release, but that release is not yet available. Please refer to the solution in this case and the related known issue article for details. It may take up to 14 business days from the date when the issue was targeted to publish the article.

by Thomas Pyzdek -

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear. The bug wasn't known until MoodleRooms discovered it while trouble shooting our tech support ticket. I was disappointed that they treated The Pyzdek Institute as a low-level priority for a week. It was only when other providers also complained that it was raised to a top priority.

In any event, MoodleRooms did disable the assignment messaging feature, which protects everyone's privacy. Hopefully Moodle will get this fixed sooner than their 2-week estimate. 

by Thomas Pyzdek -

Moodlerooms support has informed us that the problem has been fixed. Let me know if you are still having trouble.